Wednesday, April 9, 2014

SF Giants Game 8 - Opening Day

I haven't been to Opening Day at AT&T Park in years. YEARS. I was always able to get tickets to the first night game, but I either couldn't take the day off, couldn't afford tickets, or both for the official home opener. I thank the baseball gods, and my friends Denise and Ken for aligning the stars so that I could go for the first time in way too long. 

I planned on getting to the yard around 11:30am. Figured that would give me time to do a lap, maybe meet up with some friends, and grab a drink and some lunch. I didn't get to the ballpark until 1:00pm. OOPS. One of these days, I'll just wake up earlier and stop giving myself anxiety and panic attacks rushing around. Funny side note: I tripped while running up the escalator at Pleasant Hill BART, and subsequently stubbed my toe and chipped my toe nail polish. I still missed my freaking train too. You can be damn sure that for the majority of the 40 minute ride to San Francisco, I stared at my chipped pedicure with a sad face. Unpolished toe nails are gross, by the way. 

Being at back at AT&T is such a magical feeling. It even made me forget about all the idiots on BART and Muni that were also headed to the game, but didn't even know who was the starter, or worse, which team the Giants were playing. Are you fucking kidding me? GTFOH. 

The calendar giveaway was awesome, but cumbersome to carry around. I made my way to our seats in the 300s and was seated (with two beers) in time for the player introductions, the singing of the national anthem, and best of all, I got to see BatKid's epic entrance, and unbelievably heart warming and amazing first pitch and adorable interactions with Matt Cain. 
Another side note: How freaking hot was it in San Francisco yesterday?! I was uncomfortably hot and sweaty. Pretty sure I looked like one of those roasted pigs that they have at luaus in Hawaii. Gross. I realized when I got home that my chest was sunburned. That so rarely happens.

Anyway, in the bottom of the 1st, Angel Pagan walked and my friend Jeanne joined me at the seats. I gave her a hug and then said "Brandon Belt is going to hit a home run for us!" And then he promptly did. I'm so glad that Belt is having such a hot start to his season. He deserves it! Were you aware that he changed his grip though? (sarcasm) 
How awesome is this picture though? Haha.

The D'Backs cut the lead in half when Mark Trumbo grounded out to Pablo Sandoval with Martin Prado scoring in the top of the 2nd. Five gallons of sweat later in the bottom of the 3rd, Pagan doubled and then saluted the adoring fans. He has been on fire! Belt singled, and was followed by a useless out from Sandoval. 

Admittedly, I was buying a cheesteak at this point, but at least I was near a TV ;) Captain America...our ri-damn-diculously awesome Buster Posey  singled and Pagan scored. Hunter Pence stole second (and my heart, almost two years ago) with Michael Morse batting. Shortly after, Morse singled to right, and both Belt and Pence scored, making it 5-1. 

The D'Backs got a run back in the 4th, but that was it. Our surprisingly good offense knocked starting pitcher Trevor Cahill from the game in the bottom of the 4th. In the bottom of the 5th, Pence walked and then Morse hit a ground rule double to left. I'm thinking Morse is starting to like it at our beautiful ballpark. Brandon Crawford wanted in on the RBI fun, and singled to right, scoring Pence and Blanco, who came in to run for Morse. 

I'm starting to love his swing.

The D'Backs got a pity run in the 8th, but never threatened the lead. All in all, it was a beautiful day at the AT&T Park...and the guys gave the sell out crowd a wonderful day to remember. It's worth mentioning that the Giants continue to lead the MLB in HRs and are 3rd in the NL in scoring. Our offense need to keep it up! Such a change from last year. Also, Belt and Trumbo are tied for the league lead in HRs.

Last, but certainly not least, Tim Hudson was amazing, beating the D'Backs again today. The home crowd welcomed him and he treated us to a strong eight inning performance. Plus, he has not walked a batter in both of his starts this season. He was a great pick up and I'm glad he's on our team.

I'm ready to do it again tonight. See you soon, Giants! Getting a Hunter Pence bobblehead will be the cherry on top of an already amazing evening to come. Happy Lincecum Day.

GO GIANTS!!!

xoxo, 
JC



No comments:

Post a Comment