Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Voice Battles, Round 2.1

I LOVE that Chris Martin is the mentor for this round of battles. Also, earlier this week, it was announced that Pharrell Williams is joining the show, taking Cee-Lo Green's vacated judging spot for the next season. I think that was an excellent choice. He's relevant, young, fun, and you can be damn sure that he'll be wearing some interesting outfits...especially the hats! 
And try as I might, that damn Happy song inevitably gets stick in my head at least once a day. Ugh.

Slightly embarrassing fun fact about me: I read the TV Recaps on EW.com of the shows I watch. I have my favorite recappers, while some are absolutely horrible. The ones I don't like generally are very negative about the show they are writing about, which leads me to wonder if they are even a fan in the first place. So, if the sports writing thing never pans out, I'd love to be an official episode recap blogger. Watching TV for work would be pretty epic, right?

Onto the battles! 

Audra vs Megan: The Climb
I love this song. She's bat shit crazy, but I love Miley Cyrus (2nd embarrassing fun fact revealed in this post). These girls sounded good, but I was kinda bored because I checked Faceook during their battle.  I thought Audra was a little sharp on a couple of her power notes.
My pick: Megan
Blake's pick: Audra
Side Note: Usher's hat...I mean, just look! Only a superstar with a sexy voice and body like his could wear that and still be adorbs (totes macgotes!).

T.J. vs Cierra: Get Here
Beautiful song selection, but I selfishly hoped that they would pick One More Night by Maroon 5. Adam Levine gives me GPP. Not the Urban Dictionary definition, my own special definition. Follow me on Twitter and you'll probably pick up on what I mean ;) Cierra is a great singer, but she's missing a little bit of the It Factor for me. I love T.J.'s smooth soul voice. He reminds me of some of the great R&B singers of the 90's that I enjoyed so much.
My pick: T.J.
Usher's pick: T.J.
Side note: I love that both Usher and Adam are wearing short sleeve shirts. Sexy, muscular, tattooed arms. Delicious. Sorry, I'll go take a cold shower. 

Jake vs Tess: Have A Little Faith In Me
Am I the only one that wants to give Jake a big bear hug? I bet he gives the BEST hugs. Country music always makes the mushy side of me come out. Jake's voice is a classic country voice. Even if he doesn't win The Voice, I predict he'll eventually record an album. Tess is a freaking rock star. Her voice is so powerful, yet so beautiful. I pick Jake though because I'm a sucker for country singers. 
My pick: Jake
Blake's pick: Jake
Side note: The cold shower did NOT help. Rawrrr.
I'll stop now, I promise. Adam, Shakira, and Usher all tried to steal Tess. Usher singing Reunited was so cute. Tess ultimately chooses Shakira.

Christina vs Sam: Counting Stars
Ryan Tedder will always be one of my favorite mentors on this show, he is an incredible talent. I thought this was such a weird song choice. I loved Christina in the Blind Auditions. We haven't seen much of her since which leads me to think that she's been less than stellar. Sam has such a unique sound. It's quirky but so wonderful.
My pick: Sam
Adam's pick: Christina 

Patrick vs Josh: Run To You
I'll admit, I'm not that familiar with this song. I like Bryan Adams, but mostly his ballads. It's interesting to note that this battle showcases two "rejects" from Team Adam (Shakira stole them both). Chris Martin did some of his best mentoring with these two guys. Plus, hearing his directions and suggestions with his sexy British accent is a big plus. Considering I didn't know the words, Patrick's emotional growl was awesome. Josh has a great voice too, but I found myself more interested in Patrick's parts of the duet.
My pick: Patrick
Shakira's pick: Patrick
Side note: I just noticed Patrick's right eye. Is it glass? Probably not. I'm just a dick. I have a wonky eye sometimes too, I shouldn't judge.

Delvin vs Josh: Signed, Sealed, Delivered...I'm Yours
They just HAD to show Josh's battle from round 1, didn't they? Pharrell's Happy will continue to haunt my subconscious. Delvin and Josh, wow. Both of these guys are AMAZING vocalists. Adam put himself in a tough situation by pitting these two against each other. Easily the best of the night. It's not hard to see why they were featured at the end of this episode. I must admit, Delvin not rocking that big pompadour allowed me to concentrate on his voice more. We all know both of these singers will move on because the "loser" of this battle is too good to not be stolen.
My pick: Delvin
Adam's pick: Delvin
Side note: I watched this battle TWICE because it was that good. I'm glad that Usher stole Josh. I think he'll be able to help elevate his performance style.

Can't wait to watch the continuation of the 2nd round. Being behind sucks but baseball comes first. I also want to watch HIMYM again (more on that later, still bummed about the finale), plus catch up on Revenge and find a way to feed my addiction to Arrow. Plus, Game of Thrones starts up again soon. There is just not enough time in the day for all the shows I want to watch! First world problems.

xoxo,
JC 

No comments:

Post a Comment